Friday, August 7, 2009

A day in the life of studying

Well, I used to think that going to two schools and having two kids in college was hard. I have changed my mind a bit on that. This studying, being a single mom, working and attempting (notice attempting here) to have a personal/dating life is just not working as of late. The kids are unhappy with Mommy's constant sitting on her butt in her room on her bed and not doing anything else. Mommy is sick of this and most others around me are sick of it too! I will be so glad for August 31st. The CPA exam is 4 parts (plus one part - Ethics- which is open book...). The first part I took at the beginning of May (Business) I passed - woohoo!!!! The second part (Audit) I took at the beginning of July. I still have no score on that one. The third part (Tax and Law) I take tomorrow (8/8). The last part (Financial Accounting) will be on August 31st. I know that this part tomorrow has been my hardest yet. Law has always been a challenge for me because I just can't remember all of the exceptions to the exceptions to the exceptions...yada yada yada... To make this exam even more stressful add on that the cost has increased over the years to over $200 per part. You don't want to fail and have to retake a part because you have to repay every time!

So, I sat my kids dow and tried to explain to them what I am doing. CPA exam = more money = keep our house = buy some toys for Christmas this year...Yeah they just weren't getting it. Definitely money is not everything. I think that if they had to choose, I would be playing in the pool with them over a new toys ANYDAY. But, this is the challenge I have selected for this half of the year (my marathon being my challenge at the first half). I am positive that my next challenge I choose to undertake will involve the kids. :-)

Having said all of this, I am going to bed so I can be ready for this exam tomorrow. We will see how I do when the scores come in but I am pretty sure I am going to be out of pocket another $200 to retake this one. Oh Well, only 10% of people pass the first time. So, with kids, being a TOTAL single mom with very little help, and working on top of it, I am pretty sure I will not be part of that 10%. But, it was worth a try!!!

"The Lord never gives us challenges in life that he doesn't think we can handle."

Goodnight all!

0 comments: